Thursday, November 19, 2009

3rd times a charm...

Sort of. So I tried the creme brulee pie again, and while I still burnt the sugar the filling came out fantastic! I finally figure out how to cook it and made some adjustments to the recipe. So my darling friend K suggested I use a torch to melt the sugar, but I was too impatient and tried it out in the broiler again. (did you know there are two settings on a broiler?) Obviously I didn't, apparently there is a low. So the sugar got burnt but not as bad as last time i think we can still actually eat it!

So I consider this a success, and will be making it the next time we go see our friends K & R with the kitchen torch! :)





Creme Brulee Pie

filling:

3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
3 egg yolks beaten
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoon vanilla

Here are a few of filling my suggestions to start off with:

Have all of the ingredients ready, because you really do not want to leave the unattended on the stove!

Second bake the pie shell first so it has time to cool down a bit!

Now in the original recipe they said to cook in a heavy sauce pan, well both times I had trouble burning the bottom and not getting it to thicken up very well,
so I decided to try a double broiler and it is sooooo nice!
It thickened up very well, there was no burning,
and it allowed you more room for if you
forgot something and had to step away!



To start get your water boiling

in a metal bowl dissolve the cornstarch in the cream,
(I found a whisk works best
throughout this whole process!)


I whisked it up a bit before I put it over the stove
to get some air through the cream

After you put the bowl over the water
whisk it around for a bit to get it all warmed up

next add the condensed milk and the beaten egg yolks

It took a good 20 minutes of whisking,
(trust me it is definitely worth it!)

It will thicken up pretty good,
I kept it going until when I pulled out the whisk
you could still see the imprint,
like a pudding consistency.

at this point while it is still over the heat
you can whisk in the vanilla and butter

make sure the butter is melted before you take it off the heat.

Now that everything is thoroughly mixed and the pie shell is nice and cool, it is time to pour the mixture in to the shell.

I placed mine in the fridge for about 2 hours
to let it finish setting up and cool down.



Now the tricky part!

after it is allowed to cool

you want to cover the top with sugar,
the recipe called for 1/3 of a cup,
but I just sprinkled it on until it was evenly covered.



In the future I will use a kitchen torch
(hopefully my husband will take that as a hint for a Christmas present!)



The broiler is too scary for me
you cant really see too well what is going on
and before you know it, this happens!


We didn't cut into it yet,
but I I am sure it will be eaten tonight!
I will let you know how it tasted!

I apologize for not posting the past two days,
I have been home sick, and am starting to feel a bit better!
I will make it up with a couple extra postings this weekend,
on my go to pie crust recipes,
as well as some other pointless facts!

Have a lovely day!